Monday 20 August 2012

Artistic license... I mean I do it my way!

The rag rug for my craft room is coming along nicely. I'm not spending all my time doing it, especially whilst it's been so warm, as I do have other projects on the go too! So here's the update.....
....I'm not expecting to fill the whole frame ( I'd need a lot more tee shirts for that!) but, it will be a good size when it's finished. As you can see I work from the back. This is the way I was taught to make these peg rugs.....
...you make the hole in the hessian with your chosen rag tool, (more on that in a while) push one end of the strip into the hole, a few threads along make another hole and push the other end of the strip into that hole. Try to make the ends as level as you can. ( I know I shall have a few to trim up as they've been cut a bit too long) and this is what it looks like...
..there are no rules, move over the hessian any way you want......
....as long as you are keeping the lengths between holes as equal as you can. Now, when I was growing up, these types of rugs were called peg rugs. The reason being is that mainly this was used as the rug making tool....
...these are in fact original pegs from the 1950's. They belonged to my late mother, and I have a box full of them....
...to get back to the pegging tool, one of the "legs" was cut off the peg and the remaining leg was sharpened to a point so that it could be used to pierce the hessian. That is how I made my first pegged rug when I was about 10, and it stayed in our kitchen for about 10 years. This is the tool I use now....
..it's has a very short handle which helps as I have arthritis in my fingers. So, I'm really pleased and hope to get it finished in the next week. I decided to go with a random pattern, and patches of colour. I didn't want straight lines or a shape. That's the thing about doing it your way! I have been thinking ahead though, and have begun making these.....
....ready for you know what. I'm trying to be organised, for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment