Friday 3 August 2012

Felt, fibre, fabric, frames...and files!

August, already, how did that happen so quickly? Well this month I'm concentrating (mainly) on all things fabric. I am working on a scrapbook, well more of a "special memory" book. But I have at least eight weeks to complete it. so I'm taking my time, selecting my photographs and putting my elements together bit by bit. Now... on to all things fibre related. The first project I'm working on is a Christening gift.....
.....I never make cards for family Christenings, I prefer to make a lasting gift. This one is a cardigan and booties set. It will be embellished with tiny glass beads, ( not for wearing of course) a keepsake. Once completed and it has been given as a gift I shall post pictures of the completed set. My next project is also in pink......
.....a quilt. I have selected some more pink fabrics and coordinating patterned fabric since I took the picture, and they all match perfectly. This project will take me quite a few months, but that won't matter. Something else I'm doing is playing with colour and texture.....
...but I am only "playing" at this stage! There's more to come with that project too! The garden is full of such glorious colours. Some of my absolute favourites are Heucheras and Hydrangeas. They are such beautiful blended colours....
...my favourite colour is green, but I also love autumnal colours and blues and purples.....
......so I'm trying my hand at making some felted autumn leaves and hydrangea flowers using this gorgeous selection of wool tops.....
......it will be so much fun! For quite a while now I've been saving old tee shirts/tops and fabrics to make a rag rug. I haven't made one for about 20 years but I think my stash of fabrics is growing.......
.........
.....so I shall set aside a couple of hours or so to begin cutting the strips. Neither my grandmother or mother used a frame for pegging rugs but I've decided to give it a try. This frame measures approximately 40 x 30 inches.....
..... I can't make my mind up whether or not to draw a design on the hessian or just dive straight in. The last one I made I just did blocks of colour. Decisions! I'll give it some thought once I've cut the strips and see what I have. There is one thing which I must do and that is sort out my files on my laptop. When I take pictures I always put them in files by months. Then every couple of months I would (usually) re file them into their categories, (family, sewing, plants etc) well it's now August and I have from April to do! I really need to be more organised with them don't I? That should keep me busy for a while, or should I say, for August!

No comments:

Post a Comment